Monday, October 31, 2011

The Great Poppy Takeover


"ratatouille", 36" x 54" at Patricia Rovzar Gallery in December

Poppies are addictive. Although the big bloom was early summer, they have taken over the studio for many months.

Earlier in the year, I opened up my photo archives to discover hundreds of images of the opiate flower snapped over the summer. Thinking this must be some kind of sign, I decided to give in. I have two more small poppy paintings to complete, and a large commission.

detail from ratatouille

In order to keep the topic fresh, I am deconstructing some of the forms to give more of an impression of the flower within its environment.

"wild rubies", 2 panels, 50" x 48" overall, soon to deliver to Pryor Fine Art, Atlanta 

I'm also adding more exposed brushwork. Some of the branches and leaves take on a calligraphic quality. 


details from "wild rubies"


"Some say that doing the same thing over and over is boring. 
Others say that doing the same thing over and over can be a door to an experience that transcends boredom." 
- Richard Stine, Pal Press Greeting Card.

2 comments:

KRCampbellArt said...

Beautiful Joyce! Can't wait to see them in person.

60 years of Making Art said...

Your work is beautiful. I wish I could see it in person, but I live in Mexico.