Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Daffodils and Snow in Seattle

It's freezing here in the studio, so working on bright, sunny daffodils bring memories of warmer and more colorful days. The image above is the approved concept thumbnail for a triptych commissioned for a new hospital here in Washington state. The three panels will total 30" tall x 104" wide. Delivery is mid-January.

The client requested deeper panels than the standard 1.25 inch hollow core doors that I typically use for my work. As soon as I received written authorization to proceed with the project, I placed a special order for 1.75" hollow core birch slabs with my supplier, Millwork Supply, in Seattle. Estimated delivery is 4-weeks. The doors come from Canada (I think). It's been over 6-weeks out now, and still no doors. I'm keeping calm for now, but if I don't start waxing by December 1, it will be a struggle to complete these in time.

I'll try to keep you posted on how things progress. When the doors arrive, they will need to be sawed down to size, and edges filled. This process typically takes about 3-days, depending on availability of my husband to help with the manual labor.

Have a great thanksgiving.

2 comments:

Adrianne in Portland said...

Those will be so gorgeous. Can't wait to see the finished product. Fingers crossed that the panels arrive soon!

Alicia Tormey said...

Love the colors of this Joyce - can I come for a studio visit?